My goal as your therapist is to help you live a happy and joy filled life outside of the therapeutic space. Each client receives an individual plan and the flow of treatment typically goes:
- Initial/Intake Session: I gather history of you and gain understanding of the challenge that brought you to me. At the end, I will provide a clinical recommendation for treatment (including skills and timeframe/amount of sessions to minmally meet your goal).
- Second Session: Begin to build rapport with each other and address immediate issues.
- Following Sessions: Identify perspectives, self compassion, increase self understanding and implementing daily skills outside of therapy to enhance your emotional stability.
- Termination/Graduation: When you have achieved your desired goal from the initial session I always recommend booster sessions as to provide accountability for maintenance of your goals!
LGBT issues and challenges
As a queer woman in an interracial marriage, I can personally understand what challenges face those who identify on the LGBT spectrum. I can also, personally understand when family's have a difficult time if they do not understand you (I am originally from the South). Professionally, I create a space of acceptance and self discovery to living openly as your authentic self.
Using various education tools like the Genderbread, and Feminist and Queer theory's, I can help you understand intersectionality in sex, gender, desire and social, political and family constructs in your life.
- Transgender related challenges
- Coming out
- Parenting while identifying on the LGBT spectrum
- Inclusion with family and friends
By taking en eclectic and creative approach to treatment I like to incorporate activities that enhance learning capacity.
- Family mapping to explore patterns within your family history and helping you understand why your family is the way it is
- Gottman's theory to increase couple's relationship skills
- Inclusion of special needs issues related to parenting
- Pre/peri natal anxiety and depression in both parents
Trauma Informed Care
Understanding that various trauma's impact our emotions, physiological states and social angsts, I use the following skills and lens to process the trauma you or a loved one has experienced.
- Sexual Assault Survivor care
- Seeking Safety (Substance Abuse and PTSD curriculum)
- PTSD related anxiety and depression
- Mindfulness Strategies to create a sense of calm